On Sat, Dec 20, 2003 at 08:46:02AM -0500, Mike A. Harris wrote:
>On Wed, 17 Dec 2003, David Dawes wrote:
>
>>>I've been using the master cvsup server to mirror XFree86 to my
>>>workstation for about 2.5 years, but for the last week or so I am
>>>getting:
>>>
>>>    Server error: Authentication failed
>>>

>>>The message would seem to indicate that the server is up, but
>>>refusing authentication for some reason.
>>>
>>>Has something changed recently with how cvsup access to the
>>>repository is handled?  Any help appreciated.
>>
>>See <http://www.xfree86.org/cvs/> for details about anoncvs/cvsup
>>access.  That information hasn't changed in a while, and since it
>>is a public access point, no authentication is required.  Worked
>>for me when I just tried it.
>
>I'm quite aware of that page, however I've been using cvsup for
>about 2 years now via authenticated login to the master server,
>and I never saw any mention publically or otherwise that the
>master cvsup server would be shut down, hence my curiousity.
>

>>Hmm, maybe you are trying to connect to the old cvsup server that
>>used to exist for the old "closed" devel membership structure that
>>we abandoned in favour of this open forum early this year?
>
>It worked up until November first according to my cvsup cronjob
>logs, at which point it just stopped.  However, now that you
>mention it, I don't remember ever seeing any public announcement
>that the cvsup server would be decommissioned earlier this year,
>nor any time prior to it becoming unavailable in November.

There was no public announcement because this was never a publicly
available service, as you well know since it required an unpublished
password for access.  Those affected by the change (the committers)
were notified of the change.  Everyone else has equal access to
our public anoncvs site which is well documented on our web site.

I find it just a tad duplicitous that you complain about the loss
of the privileged access that you yourself campaigned to abolish.
It was an oversight that this service wasn't terminated at the same
time as the other old member-only services when this list as opened
up, and for that oversight I apologise.

David
--
David Dawes
developer/release engineer                      The XFree86 Project