We use them in lots of places that require known size data types.  If
the C99 types had been globally available say 10 years earlier, this
likely wouldn't have been the case.  As it is now, we either need to
find a mechanism for providing the C99 types on platforms that don't
have them, or continue using the CARD{8,16,32} and INT{8,16,32} types,
and also provide CARD64 and INT64 on more platforms than we currently
do.
Using either CARD32 or INT32 give 4 extra warnings (I know they're completely benign but still, I dont like warnings) whereas using unsigned int doesn't. There may be 64-bit issues with unsigned int, so I dont know how safe that would be either.

Definitely something to follow up soon after the 4.4.0 release.
I agree. Making X more type-consistent would be a Good Thing, even though its likely to be pretty invasive.

Kean