The dreaded

Fatal server error:
could not open default font 'fixed'

- can happen at the least expected times.

This happened to a collegue when upgrading packages on his fedora
installation, and for some reason the font server wasn't starting. I had
to help him remotely, relaying commands through the telephone, since ssh
into his machine was not working either.

To the point: wouldn't it be benecifial to embed the fixed font in the X
server binary itself? It would harden the x server tremendously in case
of system failures. On my system the fixed font, which is really the
6x13-ISO8859-1.pcf.gz is 4366 bytes big.

--
Torgeir Veimo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>