On Tue, 6 Jan 2004, Michael Taylor wrote:

> Torgeir Veimo wrote:
> > The dreaded
> >
> > Fatal server error:
> > could not open default font 'fixed'
> >
> > - can happen at the least expected times.
> >
> > To the point: wouldn't it be benecifial to embed the fixed font in the X
> > server binary itself? It would harden the x server tremendously in case
> > of system failures. On my system the fixed font, which is really the
> > 6x13-ISO8859-1.pcf.gz is 4366 bytes big.
>
> No need. Fonts could be specified via FontPath in the XF86Config file, so as not
> to solely depend on the font server (xfs in this case). I believe someone has
> suggested this idea as a change in default configuration recommended.
>
> E.g.
>
> Section "Files"
>     [...]
>     FontPath   "unix/:7100"
>     FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc"
> EndSection

   Yes.  Also, you don't want to put fixed in the server because
the question is which fixed font do you use.  Some people want small
fonts, some people want unicode.  This "fixed font" problem is
strictly a configuration issue and one that should get fixed by the
configuration programs.  Besides, embedding the fixed font isn't
going to make the bug reports go away.  Think of how ugly the
desktop is going to look.

                        Mark.