On Tue, Jan 06, 2004 at 12:39:37PM +0000, Torgeir Veimo wrote:
>The dreaded
>
>Fatal server error:
>could not open default font 'fixed'
>
>- can happen at the least expected times.
>
>This happened to a collegue when upgrading packages on his fedora
>installation, and for some reason the font server wasn't starting. I had
>to help him remotely, relaying commands through the telephone, since ssh
>into his machine was not working either.
>
>To the point: wouldn't it be benecifial to embed the fixed font in the X
>server binary itself? It would harden the x server tremendously in case
>of system failures. On my system the fixed font, which is really the
>6x13-ISO8859-1.pcf.gz is 4366 bytes big.

I've suggested doing something like this.  There is code in the XFree86
tree for a "built-ins" font path, and to be useful it could be implicitly
appended to the font path as a fallback.  There are some complications
in bringing this in quickly because of its dependence on the "bitmap"
font module, and I think it is worth following up post-4.4.

Of course once this is done, the problem reports will change to "My X
apps can't find the fonts they need," or "Why is everything is using
the same ugly font?"

David
--
David Dawes
developer/release engineer                      The XFree86 Project