On Wed, Jan 07, 2004 at 08:00:27PM +0100, Mario Klebsch wrote:
>Hi!
>
>Am Mittwoch, 07.01.04 um 14:00 Uhr schrieb Martin MOKREJŠ:
>>   I believe -Wl,-rpath,$(SHLIBDIRPATH) should be used on Linux and
>> possibly
>> all Unix platforms.
>
>Me too, in fact, I am convinced, this should be done. But this probably
>is a religious issue.

It is done on most platforms that support this type of thing.

The Linux settings (in lnxLib.rules) are:

#  if LinuxBinUtilsMajorVersion >= 26
#   ifdef UseInstalled
#    if LinuxBinUtilsMajorVersion < 27
#     define ExtraLoadFlags -Wl,-rpath-link,$(USRLIBDIRPATH)
#    endif
#   else
#    define ExtraLoadFlags -Wl,-rpath-link,$(BUILDLIBDIR)      <===
#   endif
#  else
#   define ExtraLoadFlags -Wl,-rpath,$(USRLIBDIRPATH)
#  endif

LinuxBinUtilsMajorVersion is somewhat mis-named.  For binutils versions x.y.z,

  LinuxBinUtilsMajorVersion = x * 10 + y    x < 2 || (x == 2 && y <= 9)
  LinuxBinUtilsMajorVersion = x * 100 + y   otherwise

I don't know why ExtraLoadFlags is set this way.  The setting I've marked
with "<===" is what gets used on any modern Linux.  If it is a religious
issue, it's not an XFree86 religious issue, but probably a Linux one
:-).  Or maybe it is just an oversight.

What I am most curious about is why the original reporter is seeing a
problem and most others apparently do not.  I never have, providing I
re-run ldconfig after installing new libraries (and I never use
LD_LIBRARY_PATH, which I agree is not a solution).

David
--
David Dawes                                     X-Oz Technologies
www.XFree86.org/~dawes                          www.x-oz.com