David Dawes wrote (in a message from Saturday 24)

 > Does NetBSD have an ld.so cache/hints mechanism like Linux and
   FreeBSD?

NetBSD has /etc/ld.so.conf. But it's default setup doesn't include
/usr/X11R6/lib.

 > Or is the search order different on NetBSD?  What about OpenBSD?

OpenBSD adds /usr/X11R6/lib to the ld.so search path in
/etc/rc. (using ldconfig).

 > The problem, at least on Linux and FreeBSD, is that using -rpath prevents
 > the admin from configuring a different path, not to mention preventing
 > the use of LD_LIBRARY_PATH for temporary overrides.  (That explains the
 > problems I've had in the past debugging on FreeBSD vs Linux.)

My experience is that X has more than one way to fail if it's
configured and built with /usr/X11R6 as the target directory and it's
later moved to some other directory. I always recommend to people who
want to make several X versions to coexist to set a different
ProjectRoot in host.def. This way each instance will have its own
shared libs search PATH and this will avoid mixing shared libs from
differents versions.  If -rpath is not set, then all installed
versions will pick up the default path and use libs from /usr/X11R6.

 > If there is no general consensus, I will at least add a build option to
 > make it easy to turn -rpath on or off for a host.def setting, and leave
 > the defaults as they are now.

Yes I think this makes sense.

                                        Matthieu