On Thu, 8 Apr 2004, Alan Coopersmith wrote:

> Ms. Economou's mail client appears to be unable to quote properly.

Probably should upgrade (at least to pine ;-)

> I wrote the original question to [EMAIL PROTECTED] several days ago,
> ( http://www.mail-archive.com/devel%40xfree86.org/msg05901.html )
> her response was the "now this was a joke right?" line.

So I see (I've been rather busy this week, and looking down into forum
wasn't my first thought).

> David Dawes has indicated he is not - to determine the license of a file you
> also need to check all the CVS commits to see if a license was stated or if it
> was attributed to him (in which case, we are told to assume the XFree86 1.1 license).
> http://www.mail-archive.com/devel%40xfree86.org/msg05906.html

I did read that (and of course a lot more from various sources).

> That would be Ms. Economou's description of X.Org today on the [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> list:
>     http://www.xfree86.org/pipermail/forum/2004-April/004400.html
>
> (Of course, it is quite ironic considering XFree86 started out by copying the
>   original X Consortium release and modifying it, which would seem to qualify it
>   as "copycat garbage" as well if you follow Ms. Economou's views on this subject
>   - fortunately, I don't think many people do.)

Certainly.  One of the X.org supporters this afternoon posted a comment
stating that XFree86 has always shipped X.org's version of xterm.

It's not clear to me whether the people who make comments such as that
are a majority (too often it does seem so - but it would be nice if the
discussion on forum didn't remind me too much of slashdot).

(works both ways).

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net