Smoof . wrote:

My plan was to do all the rendering with the same client and I know that my overlay adaptor only has a single port for the YUV420 format that I am using. Can someone say if the following would be possible:

Suppose I create a single overlay that is the size of the entire screen. Then I could track the absolute position and visibility of the individual widget windows I want to send the video streams to. I would then tile in the images into the correct spot in the overlay to match the window position. Now, if there were some way of using the alpha channel to only cause the certain portions of the overlay to be seen then that might do the trick. Or could I just manually fill the areas I want to expose with the color key? Please keep in mind that I really don't know what I'm talking about and have no idea if this is possible but it sounds like the only way to prevent the flashing is to use a single overlay and somehow figure out how to share it among the widget windows.

Does your graphics card support OpenGL? One practical alternative is to render the movies into textures.

Yes, I ran the SDL GL test program (testgl) and here is the output

Screen BPP: 32

Vendor     : Mesa project: www.mesa3d.org
Renderer   : Mesa GLX Indirect
Version    : 1.3 Mesa 4.0.4
Extensions : GL_ARB_imaging GL_ARB_multitexture GL_ARB_texture_border_clamp GL_ARB_texture_cube_map GL_ARB_texture_env_add GL_ARB_texture_env_combine GL_ARB_texture_env_dot3 GL_ARB_transpose_matrix GL_EXT_abgr GL_EXT_blend_color GL_EXT_blend_minmax GL_EXT_blend_subtract GL_EXT_texture_env_add GL_EXT_texture_env_combine GL_EXT_texture_env_dot3 GL_EXT_texture_lod_bias

I don't know anything about openGL or textures but I'll start doing some research.

I should have mentioned earlier that for this project I can specify any video card I want. So if someone has a suggestion of what would be the best video card for this type of application please let me know.

Thanks for the help.