Hi Henk,

I gave this subject a long thought and more or less concluded that
preventing misuse is quite hard using a cookie-based poll. It all comes
down to the (im)possibility of detecting whether a user has
cookies-accept option turned off.
I did design a cookie-based poll that works with two cookies. One cookie
is placed before the answer button is pressed by the user. If this first
cookie is not detected when we process the answer, than the user is
either a scriptkiddie or someone who turned off the accept-cookie
option. In either case we don't count the vote, give this feedback to
the user and ask him to stop blocking cookies and refresh the page, so
he can receive the detection cookie.
This, however, is merely a way to make misuse (a lot) less easy and is
not watertight: End users can turn on cookie-blocking cookies just
before pressing the vote. In this case, he will not receive the
already-voted cookie but cookies that have been placed earlier will be
sent anyway and thus the user can continue pressing the vote button.
I can give you the TO piece of this poll, in a couple of weeks I could
give you the code as well since it is being built right now at
Kennisnet.

The impossibility of building a watertight accept cookie detection lies
in the impossibility to place a cookie on the response and detect this
cookie during the same request (there is no such method like
response.getCookie(), cookies have to land on the browser first :).
Thus, the detection can only be done on the next request cq. user click,
which gives the end-user time to tamper with his cookie options.

There might be a possibility to make a sound detection using client-side
redirecting (response.sendRedirect()). I did not look into this.

I also would be interested if anyone has a more secure poll (not
IP-based).

Regards,

Peter