On Mon, May 14, 2012 at 12:53 PM, a.gra...@gmail.com <a.gra...@gmail.com> wrote:
> avoid regressions or incompatibility problems caused by a newer
> version of QtSDK. If we think about Qt and QtCreator just as an SDK to
> write applications I agree with you that developers should have the
> latest tools available, but about the *runtime* I think that a
> distribution should stay with the one they've used for months to test
> the applications with.
>
> p.s: don't take this wrongly... I'm not saying that newer versions of
> Qt usually cause regressions or incompatibility, but even a "could" is
> enough to make me think about a stable runtime.

As far as I'm aware, they already ship what they perceive as a
'stable' runtime.

In terms of SDK completeness, adding some warning or checkups to auto
detect runtimes and if user builds an app using Qt5 toolchain and the
system also has a Qt4.7 for example, alert the user that 'There might
be compatibility issues with system wide runtime - consider rebuilding
the app using the system wide runtime if that's the target deployment
version'. Instead of starting renaming things and changing
distribution further.

Is having a script by ubuntu that downloads the right SDK version a
bad idea? THen it'd would be left in the power of Ubuntu maintainers
to select exactly the SDK components per their planned deployment.

-Sivan

-Sivan