On Thursday, October 10, 2013 9:26 AM, Olivier Goffart <oliv...@woboq.com>
wrote:

> On Thursday 10 October 2013 15:14:02 André Somers wrote:

> > > I did not said that the signal and the slot were always written by the
> > > same
> > > person.  And I explicitly said for an application, and you are talking
> > > about libraries.
> >
> > Even for applications this statement is nonsense. For all but trivial
> > applications that during their lifetime only get worked on by a single
> > developer, the likelyhood of the same person always writing the slots
> > for every signal goes to 0 rapidly with the age and number of developers
> > on a project.
>
> That's not what I said.

It may not have been what you said, but it is what would occur.

> And regardless, I don't think it has any relevance for the problem in
> question.

Quite relevant.

> Within a code base that uses exception, developers should know which part of
> the code is exception safe and which part of the code can throw exception.
> And they know they should not call a function that can throw an exception
> from
> code that is not exception safe. (Hence they don't connect a signal from code
> that is not exception safe to a slot that throw an exception)

So now you have to a wrapper slot to wrap exceptions for any object from a
library
that you may interact with, or potentially any other code in your own project.

I have personnally maintained a 400k+ SLOC codebase based on QT.
It made extensive use of Signals/Slots between objects. Even though I was
pretty much the only developer working on it, I still had to quite often track
through signals/slots to make sure I understood things. Not because the codebase
was unclear, but because it was quite non-trivial. It would have been an
extensive
PITA to try to know which ones I could or could not use exceptions with.

I'm no compiler expert - but without help from the compiler to make sure that
kind
of things doesn't happen - e.g. marking signals/slots as Q_EXCEPTION_THROW
and Q_EXCEPTION_SAFE and having some part of the compiler chain detect
and at minimal warn of issues - it will not be feasible.

$0.02

Ben