On Jan 21, 2014, at 3:01 PM, Mohamed Fawzi <fawzi.moha...@digia.com> wrote:

> On 21 Jan 2014, at 14:25, Jake Petroules <jake.petrou...@petroules.com>
>  wrote:
>
>> On Jan 21, 2014, at 7:36 AM, Sorvig Morten <morten.sor...@digia.com> wrote:
>>
>>> On 21 Jan 2014, at 11:51, Simon Hausmann <simon.hausm...@digia.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> That depends on how much time we spend releasing Qt :)
>>>
>>> I realize that if I’m the only one who want’s to keep supporting 10.6 then
>>> that’s not going to work. The most important thing to me is to have a
>>> somewhat predictable deprecation plan. For example (and at the risk of
>>> making this example “the plan”):
>>>
>>> 5.3 - Remove support from binary packages.
>>> 5.4 - 10.6 support is deprecated.
>>> 5.5? - Remove support.
>
> I also think that it looks reasonable, but I would also find announcing now
> that 5.4 drops 10.6 support ok (I don't see this big need for "deprecated but
> still there" if one knows long enough before).
> Anyway another thing (with ARC support) is also C++11.
> Is it clear when we will begin to require C++11?

> Because supporting C++11 in 10.6 is *very* tricky (one might try to ship
> libc++, but system library will still use libstdc++ and I am not sure if
> binary compatibility with the version shipped in 10.6 is guaranteed.

You can’t compile C++11 code if you use deployment target 10.6 (the Apple tools
prevent that), so “ship libc++” is out of question. The only maybe-possible
path would be to use custom GNU libs instead of the Apple-provided ones, but I
do not think that we want to support that in any way.

++ Eike

> Fawzi
>>
>> I think this is relatively reasonable. By 5.5 (mid-2015, right?) we will
>> have or almost have OS X 10.11 which is three versions into the OS X free
>> pricing model. Given the fast uptake of OS X Mavericks in just a few short
>> months, by then it seems to me that it will be the ideal time to say goodbye
>> to the last of the Leopards. The gap between Snow Leopard and Lion is also
>> probably the most technically significant between any two recent versions of
>> OS X, so when it's 10.7's time to go we may not even need any code changes.
>> [...]

Eike Ziller, Senior Software Engineer - Digia, Qt

Sitz der Gesellschaft: Berlin, Registergericht: Amtsgericht Charlottenburg, HRB
144331 B