Il 13/08/2018 16:40, Tor Arne Vestbø ha scritto:
Or:

   if (event->device()->pointerType() != QQuickPointerDevice::Finger

Gives me all the info I need, and having to type or read this instead is worse
in my opinion:

This is actually against the old "non-enum class" coding standards: one must repeat the enumeration name in the enumerators. Then, the difference is between something like

QQuickPointerDevice::FingerPointerType (?)

and

QQuickPointerDevice::PointerType::Finger

So quite minor, all in all...

   if (event->device()->pointerType() != QQuickPointerDevice::PointerType::Finger
&&

I think we should revisit this policy, and only use it when there’s actually a
clash.

Which is always "too late" if we're talking about public APIs, as they're set in stone.

By the way, the C++ community has already recognized the excessive verbosity of enum classes, and there are proposals such as

http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2018/p1099r0.html

that would drastically simplify the syntax. In the meanwhile, I would not work around it -- we need *some* enum scoping anyhow, and enum classes are the simplest way possible to not forget about it.

My 2 c,

--
Giuseppe D'Angelo | giuseppe.dang...@kdab.com | Senior Software Engineer
KDAB - The Qt, C++ and OpenGL Experts