Hi Uwe,

On torsdag 10. januar 2019 10:24:22 CET Uwe Rathmann wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Jan 2019 07:24:01 +0000, Frederik Gladhorn wrote:
> >> Ours is LGPLv2+ as usual, FWIW.
> >
> > Which sadly makes it unsuitable for inclusion in Qt.
>
> I'm maintainer of the Qwt library ( https://qwt.sourceforge.io/ ), that
> exists since Qt 1.1 - but there are also other popular Qt plotting
> libraries available. For some reason "Qt" decided to come up with the Qt/
> Charts module many years later - AFAIK without even trying to contact any
> existing project.
>
> As being author of a competing package I never checked the code of the Qt/
> Chart module and can't ( and don't want to ) judge if it is good or bad.
> But my impression is, that it started with a limited set of features and
> immediately changed into maintenance mode without seeing much active
> development since then.
>
> Don't you agree that supporting an existing project instead would have
> lead to a better overall situation for everyone ?

Absolutely, but The Qt Company is a company. It provides many services to the
community, but it also needs to function as business. That is why we have the
CLA for the Qt project, being able to monetize on the product makes it
possible to invest into the development of the same.

> Considering that you hardly get the existing modules maintained - why
> don't you start with thinking in a more community oriented way ?

I'd like to see more community focus from TQtC as well. At the same time, we
are considering the community pretty much always. Sometimes we make
unfortunate decisions (it's a company, neither good or bad, nobody's perfect).

I do not see how we could have avoided this in this instance - the module was
internally written for a customer and we want to make it available for others
to use. I was not aware that there is a KDE framework that does serve a
similar purpose. Let's get the code out, then implementations can be compared
by those interested. I agree that duplicating effort is a bad idea, sometimes
is sadly hard to avoid.

Cheers,
Frederik