On 2019-08-22 23:43, Ville Voutilainen wrote:
I have
always wanted to maximize
the amount of people who can read my source code, and that means
emojis are out. :)

I don't believe European languages as written by you and me are the benchmark here. Asian locales (incl. Russian/Cyrillic) are. It may be acceptable to use \x or \0 to escape the odd non-ascii character in European languages using Latin script, but decidedly not for Russian or even Chinese. And while one could argue that the design language should be English and the native locale added using the normal i18n toolchain, that's surely not what happens in German programming shops, and I don't expect it to be different in Russian or Chinese ones, either.

So, yes, with C++20, we can ask people to use u8"" (after we fixed Qt's support for it), but for the last two-and-a-half decades, that hasn't been an option, thus const char* == utf-8 is a reasonable stop-gap measure, IMHO.

Whether that leads us in a direction where Qt 8 defines const char* as US-ASCII is anyone's guess. More likely, we'll just stop supporting char and require explicit charN_t.

Thanks,
Marc