On Friday, 5 January 2024 12:28:04 -03 Christian Tismer-Sperling wrote:
> > If someone wants to take over and write in CMake or in C++, be my guest.
> > That's what Alexey did for the syncqt.pl script that predated even me. As
> > far as I know, that removed the dependency on Perl to compile Qt or to
> > contribute. What's left that you're seeing?
>
> If the PySide group allows it, I'd be happy to port some perl
> scripts to python 😉

But what scripts need porting?

I don't see anything that is required to build Qt or contribute to the
Project.

There are some helper but entirely optional scripts that were written in Perl,
others in Python; some shell scripts in Zsh or requiring Bash specifically
instead of being Bourne Shell-compatible. Because none are required, I don't
see them as a showstopper or even a barrier to entry. Maybe an annoyance.

I have no problem with rewrites, so long as the offers to rewrite include an
offer to maintain said scripts for a couple of years. That means I'd be wary of
accepting an offer from someone who isn't an established Qt contributor... but
then again, those scripts are entirely optional so their falling into bitrot
is not a problem either.

So if anyone wants to port anything, get busy.