On Friday, 5 January 2024 12:28:04 -03 Christian Tismer-Sperling wrote:
> If the PySide group allows it, I'd be happy to port some perl
> scripts to python 😉

Sorry, why is Python better than Perl?

Eddy's argument is that he doesn't want to maintain Perl, but if others are,
he doesn't have to. The question of maintenance is simply of maintenance.

The question in this thread is that of barrier of entry to developers with
bare-bones environments. Hence my question: why would Python be better than
Perl? Last I checked, it doesn't come with Windows either. Maybe some VS
environments have it, but I wouldn't know.

The only scripting language we're guaranteed our users will have is CMake. Not
even shell scripting falls into that category, because, as we've discussed the
standard Git configuration does not put sh.exe in PATH (except for scripts that
Git itself runs, which happens to include the Gerrit Change-Id one).

So if there are any tools that are considered "should provide"[1] to
beginners, please port them to CMake.

[1] Gradation: "must provide", "should provide", "would be nice to provide"