On Thu, 21 Dec 2000, Dean Staff wrote:

> No, you have made yourself abundantly clear... I know you only
> replaces the smtp daemon.
>
> The problem is that I can not get 4.1b2 to do what I need it to do.
> I don't care how, but I need to use the 4.1b2 server to act as a
> outbound SMTP server.
>
> If I use the Delegate mail server option all it does is pass off
> everything regardless of the destination to the delegate server.

As I said earlier, that is not what it does. It passes only mail destined
for *local* domains to the delegated mail server. It deals with other
outgoing mail normally, either distributing it itself, or passing it off
to a specified SMTP smart host.

> That's not what I want.

It *is* what you want (from what you have said). Have you removed any
customisations and tried it?

> The main issue I'm having is, because the 4.1b2 server is called
> mail2.protus.com (ip 192.168.2.11) and the 4.0.1 server I use for
> office mail is called mail.protus.com (ip 192.168.2.13), if I use
> mail2.protus.com as the smtp server and the recipient of the e-mail
> is [EMAIL PROTECTED], even though I have the approriate entry in the
> smtproutes file
>       protus.com:192.168.2.13

What you don't have is the protus.com entry *removed* from
/var/qmail/controls/locals. However, if you use the delegated mail server
feature, all local domains *are* removed from the locals control file.

> mail2.protus.com will not forward the message to mail.protus.com.
> It tries to deliver it locally,

Yes, as instructed by /var/qmail/controls/locals.

> and because there is no user account on
> the server it bounces it and sends it to the adminstrator.
>
> I've even tried assigning an internal ip address with the hosts and
> address on the web interface, but that did not work either.

No, we told you what will work :-)

> > > If I just want to stop the obtuse-smtpd and start qmail-smtpd every
> > > time I reboot, which script should I edit?
> >
> > There should be no need to do that.
> That's not the point...What if I want to?

You'll just waste more of your time. :-)

  http://www.e-smith.org (development)  http://www.e-smith.com (corporate)
  Phone: +1 (613) 368 4376 or 564 8000  Fax: +1 (613) 564 7739
  e-smith, inc. 1500-150 Metcalfe St, Ottawa, ON K2P 1P1 Canada