On Thu, Dec 21, 2000 at 08:57:04AM -0600, Jason Watson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> i did the "dig . soa" and this was the response:
>
> ; <<>> DiG 8.2 <<>> . soa
> ;; res options: init recurs defnam dnsrch
> ;; res_nsend to server default -- 127.0.0.1 connection timed out
>
> does this mean that my local dns server is unable to query the root dns
> servers ?

Yep, you should get something like below.  I have a guess that your
external router is not NATing UDP packets. DNS uses UDP for queries
(and TCP for zone transfers, but you don't need to worry about these
in this case).

Now, if this is the case, you won't get any further with off-site DNS
primary/secondaries as your queries to them will suffer the same fate.

Could you try removing the external router and configuring e-smith to
use the external address which the router was using?

Here's what dig should return:

; <<>> DiG 8.2 <<>> . soa
;; got answer:
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 13, ADDITIONAL: 13
;; QUERY SECTION:
;;      ., type = SOA, class = IN

;; ANSWER SECTION:
.                       18h27m50s IN SOA  A.ROOT-SERVERS.NET.
hostmaster.nsiregistry.NET. (
                                        2000122001      ; serial
                                        30M             ; refresh
                                        15M             ; retry
                                        1W              ; expiry
                                        1D )            ; minimum

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
.                       3d22h3m53s IN NS  L.ROOT-SERVERS.NET.
.                       3d22h3m53s IN NS  M.ROOT-SERVERS.NET.
[...]

Gordon