On Wed, Dec 20, 2000 at 04:17:37PM -0600, John Bennett <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> I am having this exact same issue.  I can ping the internet using IP
> addresses, but not with www.example.com.  Looking at the e-smith
> manager screen shows the e-smith server being a dns server.  So, I am
> assuming that the e-smith server is querying itself.

Correct. But as it is a caching DNS server, it will look up all
Internet names as long as you have connectivity.

> Where can I put
> in a different dns server? (in the /etc/templates... area)

We strongly advise against this.

You need to use the local DNS server in order to look up local
names. You can't send requests for local names to the ISP - they will
(correctly) fail them.

> If so,
> would be nice to be able to include this on either the admin config
> screen or the e-smith-manager.  Also, what about DNS forwarders, where
> can these be added. (ditto from above)

We have also had _lots_ of problems with people using ISP DNS servers
which don't handle all domains. Large ISPs often have separate DNS
servers to handle their domains and to handle forwarding.  You need to
update this information if the ISP moves their DNS servers (some do
this somwehat frequently).

The use of an ISP forwarder is usually only a minor efficiency win.

Gordon
--
  Gordon Rowell                         [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  http://www.e-smith.org (development)  http://www.e-smith.com (corporate)