On Wed, 20 Dec 2000, John Bennett wrote:

> Anyway, I have installed b2 in my office, We have a primary and
> secondary dns server installed already.  I want the e-smith to use
> those servers for dns lookups.

Why? As Gordon stated, the e-smith server can be configured to use your
ISPs primary (and secondary) DNS servers, but the efficiency gain is
minimal, and reliability is significantly reduced. The name server
configuration in the e-smith server and gateway is perfectly capable of
resolving all Internet connected domain names.

If you wish to use particular primary and secondary DNS servers, you can
configure your server to use these using the web manager, but it is not
recommended.

> My test to internet connection still fails in the office.  But if I
> login to the console as root and ping a numbered ip address such as
> 64.26.145.90, I get replies back.  What could I be missing?

There could be problems with name resolution on your server, or the
internet connectivity could be failing for other reasons, including
possibly, bugs in the internet connectivity test software.

Can you browse the e-smith software manual (on the e-smith developers
website), using the option included in the console menu?

Thanks

  http://www.e-smith.org (development)  http://www.e-smith.com (corporate)
  Phone: +1 (613) 368 4376 or 564 8000  Fax: +1 (613) 564 7739
  e-smith, inc. 1500-150 Metcalfe St, Ottawa, ON K2P 1P1 Canada