4.1 beta3 installed it behind a soho firewall.  From behind my firewall I was
able to SSH to it no problem.  Does E-Smith Inc. plan to someday allow remote
https access not just telnet and ssh?  I admin my email server via ssl and am
not paranoid about doing so. Also users can choose to access the webmail via
http or https.

So I modified
/etc/e-smith/web/panels/manager/access.incl
------------------------
e-smith-manager panel "/etc/e-smith/web/panels/manager/html"
------------------------
allow from { localAcess } CHANGED TO ---> allow from { publicAcess }
Not sure if this was necessary at all or had any effect.

then modified /etc/httpd/admin-conf/httpd.conf
------------------------
e-smith-manager panel "/etc/e-smith/web/panels/manager/html"
------------------------
allow from 127.0.0.1 192.168.111.0/255.255.255.0
CHANGED TO ---> allow from all

------------------------
e-smith password panel "/etc/e-smith/web/panels/manager/cgi-bin"
------------------------
allow from 127.0.0.1 192.168.111.0/255.255.255.0
CHANGED TO ---> allow from all

killall -HUP httpd

then from anywhere on the internet http://<ip e-smith>/e-smith-manager
I was able to access the admin albeit not via SSL.

So all that would be required is I'd have to put all the SSL parameters in
/etc/httpd/admin-conf/http.conf
basically the same ones as in /etc/http/conf/httpd.conf
like LoadModule ssl_module /usr/lib/apache/libssl.so and tons of others

One part I don't quite understand is "Note the use of Local IP here will present
a problem when SSL allows us to provide external access to the manager" I don't
quite understand what problem your referring to.

I suppose tomorrow I'll try adding all the SSL stuff and test if it works.  I
remember when I generated my own certificates with openssl it is irrelavant
about which ports it can listen to, etc.

I still don't know why this isn't an option.  If I place an e-smith server over
in Hong Kong I'd prefer to admin it via web ssl rather than SSH using the
console.