Ok finally got it working as you described below with TTSSH/TeraTerm.  Too bad
Putty or Plink doesn't have SSH port-forwading.

Using this below I could SSH no problem to the e-smith console.
[win98]-[linux]--[NAT]--[Firewall]---[Internet]---[Firewall]--[NAT]--[e-smith]

But to get to the e-smith-manager web admin I had to use a public ip for the
e-smith server. BTW logging in as root isn't necessary ..admin works as well.
[win98]-[linux]--[NAT]--[Firewall]---[Internet]---[Firewall]--[DMZ]--[e-smith]
TTSSH | Setup | SSH Forwarding |
Local 8000 to remote <target> port 980  | Save Setup

So it works and all...well openssh on RH 7.0 I didn't have much luck with (ssh
to the console works though) using (as Dan described)
ssh -l root -L 8000:localhost:980 -C <target> -f sleep 100000
where <target> is the ip of the e-smith box.
I get kicked back to BASH immediately and it says "bad ttyname -c"  I'm not
worried..probably cuz I'm running apache on it currently. I tried -T -t and -A.

So this method is doable.  But I had to open this port on this firewall and that
firewall..blah blah.  It would be so much easier to just have the ability to
https://<target>:980
At least that's my vote for it.

On Fri, 19 Jan 2001 17:24:14 +0100
 "Michael Jung" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
  | > FYI, it is relatively trivial on Linux/UNIX systems to get secure access
  | > to the e-smith web manager using an ssh "tunnel".  What you can do
  | > with ssh is create a tunnel across your ssh connection that maps a
  | > remote port to a local port on your machine.  (I have not tried this
  | > with Windows implementations of ssh, so I do not know if it will work
  | > with them. I will be trying this today, though.)
  |
  | It works under Windows with TTSSH and I use it to access the e-smith web
  | panel with the forward of the local port 980 on the windows machine to the
  | e-smith server port 980.
  |
  | Michael Jung
 adam http://www.kaikun.org 4,000+ photos
ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ