-----Original Message-----
From: Darrell May [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Monday, January 22, 2001 5:23 AM
To: '[EMAIL PROTECTED]'; [EMAIL PROTECTED];
'[EMAIL PROTECTED]'; 'Daniel C. Slagle'; '[EMAIL PROTECTED]'
Subject: RE: [e-smith-devinfo] 4.0.1 not seeing LAN?

Hello Dan, Steve, Charlie, Daniel.  I set my test 4.1B3 server up to match
Dan Brown's server & gateway-dedicated mode to troubleshoot this and I
wanted to look into the route tables for my own knowledge.  Anyhow, I set it
up and low and behold I got the same error 'destination host unreachable',
not being able to reach the internal LAN/nic but the external nic/Internet
was fine.  Same thing as Dan, I could swap eth0/eth1 around so I knew it
wasn't a faulty nic but always no luck on the internal LAN for
communication.  What was bizarre was all indicators were showing that
everything should be working.  From the e-smith server I could ping the
e-smith IP 192.168.1.1/eth0 but not anything on the LAN and eth1/Internet
was fine.

I tried to look into route tables but no matter how explicit I added route
entries nothing changed so I dropped that course of troubleshooting.
IFCONFIG showed everything fine except I noticed that TX were happening but
no RX on eth0.  I also noted that my eth0 nic's indicator lights were green
for link status but not flashing indicating activity.  Strange :(  Since I
knew eth1 was happily getting both TX and RX, lights flashing I decided to
plug the external network cable into eth0.  Immediately the activity light
starting flashing.  Removed and plugged in the LAN cable and again, lights
flashing and now everything starting working?

Could this be a RedHat/e-smith bug?  I am using two identical nics.  I think
I've read posts on others having issues when the nics are identical.
Possibly a problem activating both nics when the same driver is being used?

Regards,

Darrell