Des Dougan wrote:

> I assume you mean for an NT or W2K box? There's a thread on the General
> forum entitled "Domain Logon" which may be what you need.

        Yes, that's right.  I just installed Samba 2.2.0 on the e-smith box,
and I'm trying to use it as a domain controller for a Win2k machine.  I
took a look at that thread, and found these instructions:

For every NT workstation which should be able to logon you have to run:

  /sbin/e-smith/db accounts set foo machine Comment "Machine account for
foo"
  /etc/e-smith/events/actions/machine-account-create machine-create foo

        As this message says later, you get an error after the second command:

[root@e-smith home]# /etc/e-smith/events/actions/machine-account-create
Rufus
machinename argument missing at
/etc/e-smith/events/actions/machine-account-create line 45.

        Contrary to what that message says, though, it doesn't seem to work--I
get "unknown user" when I try to log in to the domain.  So, I tried
manually stepping through what the machine-account-create script does.
No error creating the unix account through useradd.  No problem doing
passwd -l on the account.  For that matter, there wasn't any problem
doing the smbpasswd--but once it was done, the machine account was the
only one listed in /etc/smbpasswd.

        Now, I expect most of my questions are, properly, Samba questions, and
I need to check the Samba docs for the answers to them (though if
anything is known, it'd help out a lot).  However, it surprises me that
the machine's user accounts aren't listed in /etc/smbpasswd.  From what
I can tell from smb.conf, that's where they should be.  Should they be
there, or is there someplace else I should be looking?  Thanks again for
any help.

--
Dan Brown, KE6MKS, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
"Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy