On Wed, 28 Feb 2001, Orville Carter wrote:

> Here are the results after running -
>
> /sbin/e-smith/db configuration setprop flexbackup erase_rewind_only false
> /sbin/e-smith/signal-event console-save
>
> Backup was set for 11:30am, and  took about 45 minutes total - on the same
> tape!

Looks like that particular tape drive needs to be erased before it can
be overwritten. Sometimes the writing of the zeroes at the beginning
of the tape is enough to fool the drive into thinking the tape is
erased. Sometimes it isn't. It looks like your drive falls into
category two. Erasing the tape didn't take too long, the bulk of the
time was taken by the dump of the root filesystem (approx 30 minutes).

Please continue to monitor the backup logs. I'd really like to nail
down the backup issues.

--
Regards
Peter

"If you kill all your unhappy customers, you'll only have happy ones left"