On Wed, 28 Feb 2001, Andy Worthington wrote:

> I am working on several contrib rpms

Cool!

> and had a few questions.  I followed
> the howto on the e-smith.org site and it is working fine but I wanted to
> know the best/suggested way of doing the following in the rpm:
>
> Adding a service to the configuration file and setting it to enabled

You have a number of options, each with pros and cons.

- do it in %post action as you have suggested below
- include an action script which hooks into the console-save event, and
  enables the service if there is do existing db entry for it
- include a README which tells the user to enable the service after
  installing the RPM.

We have had problems with %pre and %post scripts as they get run when RPMs
are installed, even during the install from CD phase. So we get apache
being restarted as a side effect of installing rpms - and who needs that
during the install from CD phase - it just slows things down and can cause
problems.

> Creating the link of /etc/rc.d/rc7.d/S99servicename ->
> /etc/rc.d/init.d/e-smith-service

Two choices here, and you could do both:

- include the symlink in the RPM, by including the appropriate command in
  the %build section of your spec file.
- include a call to esmith::util::serviceControl in a blah-conf-startup
  script - you can combine that call with the service database
  initialisation.

Don't forget to ask for a contrib directory and post us your RPMs for
hosting once you are done.

Regards

  http://www.e-smith.org (development)  http://www.e-smith.com (corporate)
  Phone: +1 (613) 368 4376 or 564 8000  Fax: +1 (613) 564 7739
  e-smith, inc. 1500-150 Metcalfe St, Ottawa, ON K2P 1P1 Canada