> Richard,
>
> > Try VMWARE it is great.   I could construct a complete dummy network of
> > severs and clients.  Live and local - test VPN, firewall, security and
god
> > knows what else.
>
> I'll join you in praising VMWare.  We have a number of licenses here
> at e-smith and use it extensively for testing.  For instance, has
> anyone ever wondered (maybe you haven't ;-) how I get the screen shots
> for the installation sections of the user manual?

Yup... I went one better.  Took screen shots of a VMWARE e-smith running on
a remote sever I connected to with VNC.  Not to sound competitive or
anything.  :)

Ah technology.  I mean it is one thing to learn about the whole radical new
idea of the 386 architecture over the 286 and the notion of virtual machines
in an assembler and code execution sense.  To listen to some boffin crap on
about it ad bloody nausea when you are being taught the ins and outs of
sparc vs x86 to get some useable knowledge of ALU's and AC's and what
not....

But academia aside - just saying - "I need to do this and try this" and not
have to get dirty is a godsend!  And the more you think about it - the logic
is in no way voodoo stuff.  It makes more sense than not to be able to do
it?  It is only code - so why these enforced notions of "machines" and
having to be something tangible?

However - I digress.  For once I have seen for real a benefit from something
that was up until then some theoretical pet love of an old man with too long
a beard and too many ill looking stains on his 1981 purchased sun t-shirt.

Cheers,
Richard.