On Tue, 24 Jul 2001, Thomas E. Keiser wrote:

> Thanks, Dan, for enlightening me on something that wasn't obvious, and wasn't
> previously pointed out. I'd have been very unhappy with the results of my "safer"
> arrangement if I hadn't known that.
>
> Tom
>
> Dan York wrote:
>
> > Tom,
> >
> > > some new discoveries. Basically, the idea is to put a second hard drive, or
> > > better yet, a raid array inside the box, and store your data on that. If you
> > > ever have to reinstall the e-smith server, you're not going to wipe out your
> > > data; you'll just remount your data drive(s) on the boot drive's directory tree.
> >
> > One MAJOR caution - the e-smith installation process wipes
> > **ALL ATTACHED** hard drives during the install.  (Hence the big warning
> > on http://www.e-smith.org/docs/manual/4.1/installingsoft.html )
> >
> > The answer, of course, is to have that second disk drive in there, copy
> > the data to it, etc., and then *physically disconnect* the hard drive
> > from the disk controller (just pull the cable) before you do the
> > reinstall.  After the software is reinstalled, you shut down the box,
> > reconnect the hard drive, and power it back up.
> >
> > The key is that you have to *remember* to disconnect the drive...
> >
> > Regards,
> > Dan
> >
> > --
> > Dan York, Director of Training        [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > Ph: +1-613-751-4401  Mobile: +1-613-263-4312 Fax: +1-613-564-7739
> > e-smith, inc. 150 Metcalfe St., Suite 1500, Ottawa,ON K2P 1P1 Canada
> > http://www.e-smith.com/            open source, open mind

Hi folks -- I have been playing with this for some time now and have come
up with a way to do this from boot. Basicly you modifiy the ks.cfg file on
a boot disk with the partion/drive layout that matches the installation
hardware you have. So as an example:

# partitioning parameters
zerombr yes
clearpart --all
part swap --size 128 --ondisk sda part swap --size 128 --ondisk sdb part
swap --size 128 --ondisk sdc part swap --size 128 --ondisk sdd
part / --size 1 --grow --ondisk sda
part /tmp --size 1 --grow --ondisk sdb
part /var --size 1 --grow  --ondisk sdc
part /home --size 1 --grow --ondisk sdd

I am sure there is a way to specify the partition number but I don't
remember off the top of my head. What I was wondering though is how easy
would it be to add a section in the install process to add custom
parameters like this before install?

--
As ever, yr. obdt. (but pitiless) svnt.,

Donovan Arellano
--
GNUPG Key: www.technodada.com/~donovan/gpg.key   |
Web Address: http://www.technodada.com/~donovan  | / \  ASCII Ribbon