> My (limited) experience is that each model of UPS is different so this may
> not work.  Running powstatd -t should have made it clear which, if any,
> begining state setting you needed to change.

Yup just read it and watched - trial and error.  The default settings were
tracking the wrong signal!  I have it now changed and I will email Charile
my make and model to add this setting for others if they need it - or if the
powerstatd is integrated in a later version of essg.

> > I will investigate further.  The 5 min shutdown is a good clue to help
test
> > it now. I had nothing to drain any power and I thought "Oh god this
could
> > take ages!!"  :)
>
> In powstatd test mode you should see the state change from ON to FAIL
> within a minute of removing power to the UPS. If you don't you need to
> adjust settings and test again.

> On one UPS I configured (the cheapest signalling APC), the final state
> change to LOW was never signalled.  Unless your UPS battery is in terrible
> shape this isn't much of a problem tho as the system will shutdown within
> 5 minutes (by default IIRC).

Ditto on this one.  An APC Back UPS Pro 420.  It has no "low" signal.  It
will beep contiunally but no signal changes.  So the "low" setting is
useless.

On one server with a 3ware 6200 and ata100 40 gigers in raid 1.  Dial up
modem and all the case fans.  I got 15 mins of power out of the UPS with an
almost full charge.

I then did a live test.  With no monitor on the server, the bios is set to
halt on NO ERRORS and the "Default power state after power loss" is set to
on.

1.  Pull power.
2. Server sends console message about power loss and shutdown in 2 mins.
3. 1 min passes.  Server sends out console message about power out in 1 min.
4. Put power back in.
5. Console message that power is OK again.
6. Repeat steps, 1 ,2 ,3....
7.  2 mins pass.  Server starts shutdown procedure.
8. This takes ~1.5 mins.
9. Server shuts off and UPS goes into "Sleep" mode.  I assume this is to
save power in case power goes off and on in 5-10 intervals - the battery
will have enough power to handle a few.  This works well with the 2 min
shutdown.  Obviously for a bigger UPS one would set it to lomger.  But for a
AU$400 UPS you buy it for gracefull shutdowns and not availability.
10.  Connect power again to UPS.
11.  UPS fires up.
12.  It sends out power to all connected cords.
13.  As server is set to go to power on state after power loss it fires up.
14.  DONE.

This server can now take care of it's own power, go off and on as required
by itself.  It has a 3ware RAID card (with a port set to below 1023) that
will email a mobile phone if a HD fails.

For ~AU$2,000 here is a name brand, fast and reliable self built system +
UPS.   Graeme your How-to was the last piece of the puzzle!

Now I need to get powerstatd to work in server/slave mode!

Cheers,
Richard.