On 10 Oct 2001, Charlie Brady wrote:

> On Thu, 11 Oct 2001, Gordon Rowell wrote:
>
> > IMO, the generated files should be as compact as possible, without
> > additional comment noise. The reasoning for the fragment is captured in
> > the fragment, which then generates as little as is required. The
> > comments often obscure the vital information.
>
> I agree with Gordon on this. The correct place for comments is in the
> template fragment. No human need ever read the generated configuration
> file, so comments should not be required there. In fact comments in the
> generated file might encourage people to directly edit the configuration
> file, instead of making changes to a template.

It would be handy though to have a setting, similar to the existing
DebugTemplateExpansion, which when enabled would insert a
single '# Generated from /etc/e-smith/templates/etc/foo.bar/50bla'
line for each template fragment expanded.

I'm sure there must be an instance where such a comment would
break a config file though...

Daniel van Raay