Specifying "guest ok = no / map to guest = never" is reasonable. The
original decision to permit guest logins was mine, dating back to the
old days when most customers were using Windows 95/98 and "logging in"
by hitting the escape key :-)

The original version of the server software did not have individual user
home directories (or groups, or i-bays, etc.) Instead, there were four
fixed-purpose file-sharing areas (e.g. one for the administrator to
distribute files to all local users, another for use as a public
"sandbox", and so on.)

In that environment, allowing unauthenticated guest access made sense.
But times have (thankfully) changed.

- Joe, historian-in-residence :-)

--
Joseph Morrison, AVP Technology Strategy        +1 613 368 4399
Network Server Solutions Group                  [EMAIL PROTECTED]