Good preliminary HOWTO, Thanks.

I set this up on a 4.1.2 box with a couple of minor problems. The
first being that the startup in iniit.d (actually a symlink) will  cause
problems as it starts with " jabberd -h 'hostname' so no matter what
you configure in the jabber.xml file it will only be contacted as the first
part of your FQDN, even from outside the internal network. This was an
aggrivating problem to track down.

If you wish to start it from the supplied file, delete the -h hostname
from all
parts of the startup file.. Since the -h flag is in the jabber.xml file,
it's about
useless anyway.

I added a second <host> line, one line for the external address and one for
the internal address, if you decide you want to serve both. At the
end of the config file you may specify hosts or networks you choose to serve
or not serve.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
John C.