> From: Steven Lewis [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]

> I have a need to gain remote control of client PCs (Win boxes)
> behind a SME server via TCP/IP. Instead of using PcAnywhere
> I thought I would start with Tridia VNC being, open source,
> and no cost in early stages of use. If Tridia VNC works well
> and this is the best way to get remote control of PCs
> behind a SME  we will buy or contribute to the company.

I haven't looked at what Tridia has added to the VNC project
but the original free version works just fine as does the
tightvnc variation if you run over low bandwidth links. You
can install as a service on NT/2000 boxes so it will be
active after a reboot.  If the main access to these machines
is remote, it makes things easier and faster if you set the
screen size to something smaller than the controlling PC and
make the background a solid color.  The only quirk added by
being behind the e-smith firewall/nat is that you can't
make the connection directly - you have to pptp to the server first or set
up port forwarding through ssh.

  Les Mikesell
   [EMAIL PROTECTED]