> From: Darrell May [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]

> Hi Les,
>
> Sounds like you've got a good deal of Linux experience.

Well, enough that the advantage of using SME vs. another
distribution amounts to saving a few hours of setup time
and being able to delegate some of it to someone else.
Then you trade that off against the extra work of any
custom changes in files built by the templates.

> Remember the now
> departed Axon Linux.  They did exactly what you wanted and put the SME
> server-manager interface on top of SGI's XFS RedHat 2.4.x kernel.

Yes, I had some hope that this would generate some real changes.

> It was
> disappointing to see this project splinter off from devinfo and even more
> disappointing to see it flounder and die.

I disagree with the first part: I think the only way the distribution
can evolve quickly is by having the experimental versions developed by
a group with no obligations to maintain backwards compatibility with
anything earlier.  I don't think the SME crew can even think in those
terms at this point but they would still be able to pick out useful
changes and merge into a more conservative distribution.  Does anyone
know what killed the Axion effort?  When I first saw it, I thought it
sounded ambitious for the few names associated with the project but
I didn't expect it to just disappear so quickly.

> All I'm stating is you can put the SME interface onto just about anything
> you desire.  Yes some major work is required to get all the functionality
> but a heck of a lot does work right after install.  For anyone with
> experience, this is simply another challenging project.
>
> How about taking up the charge and heading up a development project.  SME
> on RedHat 7.2, ext3 journaling file system, is awaiting your
> talents. I know
> this project has been mentioned previously.  Maybe nows the time
> to make it
> so.

I have doubts about having time to complete something like that and
also have some philosophical issues with part of the SME setup.  While
it works very well as a single stand-alone office server what I
really want is something that works better in a multi-server
configuration where users/passwords are maintained centrally,
the DNS server can be a secondary to a larger system (i.e. the
DHCP clients can see the rest of the same domain), and everyone
ends up in the same LDAP address book. If it weren't such overkill
for a single server the best approach might be an OS independent
database/user interface like Ganymede.

   Les Mikesell
     [EMAIL PROTECTED]