Have you looked at the NIS HOW-TO for SME?

I can't comment on how well NIS works with SME, but I have used it
with a couple of other distros and it solves the centralized
authentication issue.  IMHO, it is the best solution today for an all
Linux network (Linux servers and desktops).

If you want to continue using Windows on the desktop, get ready
for the administration nightmares to get worse as Product Activation
gets built into every Microsoft product.  Also, get ready for reminders
to sign up for Passport in every MS product, and helpful browser
redirects to MS propeties in IE 6.0+.

Regards,
Keith