On Thu, 31 Jan 2002, Darrell May wrote:

> It has been my experience that Mitel's current position is typically to not
> respond to any bug submitted by a unpaid customer.  In my own personal
> experience I've submited a _few_ bug reports and it is common to never
> receive anything but the automated reply.

We do not provide support to non-paying customers. But we do respond to
bug reports, wherever they originate - by investigating the reported
problem. If necessary, we ask for further information. If a bug is
confirmed, we start the process of documenting and rectifying the problem.

Note that bug fixes compete for engineering resources with new product
features. The priorities are determined by the needs of Mitel's (paying)
customers. We do not promise to fix all reported bugs (but I think that
you'll find that our record is good).

Note especially that during beta testing, we do not publish a known bugs
list and we do not issue updates. In general, we find that bug reports
from beta testers are usually well documented, so we are less likely to
require followup to gather additional information. Moreover, if an issue
arising from beta test is being discussed on devinfo, it doesn't get
followed up on by the support team which monitors [EMAIL PROTECTED]

> Having said the above, I must state that on a few occassions Charlie has
> replied directly to me and has even issued the fix for me to beta test.
> These instances have been _very_much_appreciated :->>>>  The only comment I
> am making is for the most part, this does not happen.

You don't know that. You only know what your experience has been.

I hope that this clarifies things. If you wish to follow up on any
particular bug report which you have made, please follow the instructions
which were included in the automated response you received when first
reporting the bug.

Regards

Lead Product Developer
Network Server Solutions Group        http://www.e-smith.com/
Mitel Networks Corporation            http://www.mitel.com/
Phone: +1 (613) 368 4376 or 564 8000  Fax: +1 (613) 564 7739