Hi Charlie,

> I notice that the source RPMs you are producing do not actually contain
> any source, they only contain a spec file:

  Yes, it's true. We knew it but as this was mostly done for internal use and
we couldn't make them build correctly we just let this go. Darrell pointed to
us the same problem a few days ago, and well after a morning of hard work :)
we have done it. Very soon we will update all the source packages to have
them right.

> This seems to indicate that you are building your binary RPMs on a machine
> which already has the running programs installed.

  Actually, we used a virtual machine just for this :) I promise we tried,
but now we know a little more about rpms and have been able to nail it.

>This is a little bit
> limiting for further development, because it means a developer must make
> changes as root, must do development on an e-smith/SME server, and can't
> do so on a production machine, as you must hack the running scripts to
> make changes. This also limits you to developing in interpreted languages
> - you cannot package the source of compiled languages such as C this way.

  Completelly true. Well, hope this change boosts contrib development of our
packages :)))) or you decide to include monitor in the official release :)))))

> I'd advise you to have a look at our e-smith-skel RPM, and any of our
> source RPMs, and read the developers HOWTO documents at:

  We did and we have done it again. It's funny how things seem different once
you have more experience :))

> If any of that is not clear I can try to explain.

  We achived it ! Maybe the howto should improve a little to make it easier
to understand. Now we understand why getting the blade howto is taking more
time than desirable.

> Regards

  See you.

--