On Sat, Jul 13, 2002 at 11:09:53AM +0800, Mark Wilkinson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I can't answer that now as the server is no longer setup.  I thought that
> the "never" option would prevent dialling no matter what was requested from
> clients or the server.

Note: I'm wearing my personal hat :-)

Hmm, "never" is probably the wrong term to use. The _server_ will not
request a dial out with this setting but a connection from a LAN machine
to the Internet may cause a dial-up.

Is stopping the LAN machines from causing a dialout the correct behaviour?
Yes for some people, no for others. If you stop them, client PCs will return
effectively random (from the client machine's p.o.v.) Internet failures.

If client PCs can't cause a dialout, _how_ do you let them decide to
bring the link up?

One thought I had the other day was an interaction with squid - if the
page is external and the external link is down, throw up a dialog box
saying "Do you want to bring the link up?" I have no idea how hard this
would be to do, or whether someone has done it before.

Should there be a simple manager button "Bring the link up now"? If so,
should it be user-protected, or should anyone on the local LAN be able to
go to something like http://<server>/bring_the_link_up ? If we don't worry
about authentication to start with, stopping client PCs from bringing
the link up and adding a simple "Bring the link up" is pretty easy. Does
that idea have merit for devinfo folks?

> As you can't be absolutely sure that the machine is not dialling until you
> receive your phone bill (cringe!),

Not true - see /var/log/diald/accounting.log

> one of my colleagues solves the problem
> by plugging the modem power pack into an electronic timer plug so the power
> to the modem is cut outside of outside office hours; crude but effective!

This could also be done with diald configuration, but whether it is the
correct behaviour is something you need to determine for your site. We've
acknowledged that things could be improved for flagfall charging regimes,
but _how_?

What policies would you like to see? Spend some time thinking and
documenting the behaviour you want, and then let's see what options can
be provided.

Gordon
--
 Gordon Rowell                         [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 Director, Engineering