I'm trying to install spambayes on a testbench server to figure out if
it's a good antispam solution for myself and then if it is, perhaps other
users on an SME system.

following instructions I've installed the src but haven't been able to
upgrade python successfully to 2.2.2 (1.5.2 at present) on which spambayes
depends.

attempts to upgrade python are met with dependency problems - should I
even try to resolve them? I detect an interdependency web that may not be
resolvable.

PS If you are curious about spambayes:
http://sf.net/projects/spambayes

Graeme Robinson - Graenet consulting