On Mon, 17 Mar 2003, Rasjid Wilcox wrote:

> In dealing with this, my observation would be that at least one mail server
> (qmail to be precise) does not deal with 5xx (504 from memory) errors in
> response to the HELO command.  Call this a bug in qmail if you like, but it
> may be over a week before a legitimate sender gets an error saying that qmail
> could not deliver their message.  I just hope you don't have anyone trying to
> contact you via email where time is of the essence.

Can you provide examples please. Looking at the qmail-remote.c source
code:

227   substdio_puts(&smtpto,"HELO ");
228   substdio_put(&smtpto,helohost.s,helohost.len);
229   substdio_puts(&smtpto,"\r\n");
230   substdio_flush(&smtpto);
231   if (smtpcode() != 250) quit("ZConnected to "," but my name was rejected");

suggests that your statement is incorrect. If you have specific
examples that demonstrate this condition, please let us know.

--
Regards
Peter

"If you kill all your unhappy customers, you'll only have happy ones left"