On Mon, 29 Dec 2003, Richard Morrell wrote:

> I am guilty of this - wholesale.

That's an interesting public admission.

> SW Corporate products use GPL components and don't breach the GPL but
> its a fine line. It really is. SmoothWall corporate products take GPL
> code and make it proprietary.

For any code for which SmoothWall holds the copyright, the fact that
versions exist which are GPL is neither here not there. Smoothwall has the
right to use its code as it wishes (whether contributions are "its code"
is another question altogether). For code which SmoothWall uses under the
GPL, SmoothWall cannot (legally) make it proprietary.

> IF you had to do an audit you'd find breaches now but its also an
> equation. Corporate paying products fund GPL activities and the same for
> any company using GPL code or OSI licenced code.

I don't see the distribution in question funding any GPL activity.

> Charlie is exactly right.

:-)

Mitel Networks Corporation      http://www.mitel.com/
Phone: +1 (613) 592 5660 or 592 2122  Fax: +1 (613) 592 1175

A: Because we read from top to bottom, left to right.