I think we should get rid of the transient setting, the reason
being that it is relatively straightforward for a node to guess
whether it is likely to be transient or not.

I would suggest that all nodes remain in "transient" mode
automatically until 6 hours after they come on-line.  Nodes could
also keep track of what percentage of the day they are online
for, and switch back to transient if it is less than a certain
percentage (say 80%).

This gets rid of the ugly manual transient setting.

By a similar token, we should investigate whether the FNP
protocol can be enhanced to support a "tell me my IP address"
message, so that we have a reliable way to automatically
determine a nodes IP address.

Ian.

--
Ian Clarke                ian@[freenetproject.org|locut.us|cematics.com]