On Sat, Nov 23, 2002 at 12:33:45PM -0800, Ian Clarke wrote:
> I think we should get rid of the transient setting, the reason
> being that it is relatively straightforward for a node to guess
> whether it is likely to be transient or not.
Ugh.

> I would suggest that all nodes remain in "transient" mode
> automatically until 6 hours after they come on-line.  Nodes could
> also keep track of what percentage of the day they are online
> for, and switch back to transient if it is less than a certain
> percentage (say 80%).
Hmmm.

> This gets rid of the ugly manual transient setting.
>
> By a similar token, we should investigate whether the FNP
> protocol can be enhanced to support a "tell me my IP address"
> message, so that we have a reliable way to automatically
> determine a nodes IP address.
Aieeeeeeeeeeee. Permanent nodes need not only to know their IP address
(and this can be found out quite easily, assuming no NAT bullshit), but
they also need to be able to update nodes that connect to them when it
changes. If we implement ARKs we can get rid of (mostly) the manual
setting "ipAddress".

--
Matthew Toseland
Freenet/Coldstore open source hacker.