As I understand it, yes, we're blatantly in violation, but bundling the
JRE into the installer is also in violation.  Again, as I understand it,
if we bundle JRE with Freenet, we should try to ensure that it is not
usable by other applications.

I can see no way of achieving this.  If indeed it is acceptable to bundle
the JRE installer inside a 'heavy installer' then what's preventing any
casual user downloading the heavy installer just for the JRE?  I think
*this* is what Sun really wants to prevent.  I believe that if we bundle
Sun JRE we *cannot* use Sun's JRE installer.

The only solutions I see are to produce our own installer for JRE (not
fun, no thank you) or just scrap the automatic download of the JRE and
request that the users go to java.sun.com and download it themselves.

And then we're back where we started with a user-unfriendly installer.

<shrug>