Jonathan Howard wrote:

The importance is for determining the preferred ordering.
That sentence makes no sense to me.
All I'm saying is the challenge is to sort the nodes from best to worst.
You don't have to be using the result values of numeric computations. (I'm not suggestion to do it another way)
The only thing inferred from estimate is which node to choose, the value and difference between them are irrelevant.

Just because we are only interested in the ordering doesn't make the actual values determined any less important.

The whole point of NGR is that the goals and mechanism of our routing decisions are clearly defined to be "route to the node likely to return the data soonest", everything else comes from that. We are trying to get away from the alchemy of just throwing numbers and biases in here and there and going with what works. If you can't define what is being estimated then you are taking a step in the wrong direction and violating the golden rule of NGR - "Thou shalt not use alchemy".

Ian.