--- Ian Clarke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Tracy R Reed wrote:
> > Yes, I agree. However I am concerned that I am not even seeing signs of
> > recovery 48 hours later. The network cannot take that long to converge if
> > it is converging at all.
>
> The network will only converge when this becomes the most effective way
> for it to deliver data - while the network remains small it is better
> for each node to have broader expertise.
>
> Think of Freenet as a soap-bubble.  A soap bubble will always adopt
> whatever shape minimizes its surface area.  In most cases this is a
> sphere.  Similarly, a large Freenet will try to adopt whatever
> configuration will minimize retrieval times, and we have seen in pre-NGR
> that this generally results in pretty obvious specialization.
>
> Don't get the causal relationship mixed up though.  Soap bubbles are
> round because this minimizes their surface area, and pre-NGR Freenet
> specializes because this minimizes search time (according to its
> primitive measurement), but if Freenet is not specializing, or not
> specializing in an obvious way, then this doesn't mean its broken,
> merely that it has found another optimal way to minimize search times.
> This is to be expected since NGR Freenet has to consider network
> topology (latency etc) and node performance, where pre-NGR ignored both
> of these factors.
>
> If Freenet isn't specializing it is probably because the network is
> small enough that it doesn't need to specialize yet, or, at least that
> it doesn't need to specialize in such an obvious manner.  As the network
> grows it is likely that more obvious specialization will occur.
>
> Ian.

You are suggesting that specailization makes no sense in small networks and that
freenet does what
is optimal.  Ian, please think about this.  In a tiny network were every node was
connected to
every other one, specialization still makes sense.

Optimally each node would be specialized in a portion of hashspace proportional to its
resources.
Requests/inserts could work in HTL=1.

Sure if you only have 10 nodes everyone will have a broad area about 1/10th of has
space, but
Tracy would still be able to see something like that in that graph.