On Mon, Nov 03, 2003 at 02:58:03AM -0800, Tracy R Reed wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 03, 2003 at 09:41:23AM +0000, Ian Clarke spake thusly:
> > When and who "scoffed"?  Quotes please.  I was carefully picking through
> > the NGR code and encouraging others to do-so.  The scientific method is
> > to conduct an experiment, and see whether things improve.  To the extent
> > a scientific method can reasonably be followed with Freenet, it is.
>
> toad, last week I think. I don't have the IRC logs hanging around.
>
> > By that argument almost none of non-symbolic AI would work since
> > frequently it finds solutions to problems which are extremely difficult
> > for people to decipher.
>
> But people understand how those things work and they know what they are
> supposed to do and they usually know when they are actually working. There
> is code in freenet which actively promotes specialization and which routes
> to other nodes based on their specialization betting that the chances of
> that node having the data are greater than others. That stuff does not yet
> seem to be working. Don't get me wrong, I'm patient and I know this stuff
> is hard. I just don't want anyone to think freenet meets expectations for
> a functioning network. :)

AFAICS, NGRouting should have *more* obvious specialization than classic
routing, because of the relatively small amount of information in the
estimators. Classic routing allowed many tiny specializations -
NGRouting doesn't understand such things, it's about a big dip in the
graph, or maybe two big dips in the graph. And we did see obvious
specialization in the classic routing once upon a time.

> > Can you find information in a scalable manner?  Lets, for the sake of
> > argument, assume you can.  What is the CHK of the information at the
> > center of your specialization?
>
> You almost confused me a second time because I was about to pull up my
> datastore histogram. You asked me this question on IRC once. I'll tell you
> the same thing I told you then: Linux is the "CHK" or "key" of the
> information at the center of my specialization. Logistics and aircraft
> maintenance is the CHK of my fathers. Networking is the CHK of my
> roommates. I know what they specialize in and I route to them
> appropriately when I need something in that area. If nobody specialized in
> anything in the real world we would have problems.
>
> > You obviously aren't very familiar with non-symbolic AI.  Examples would
> > include anything that relies on a neural network (such as those that
> > analyze your credit card transactions to spot fraud), or a genetic
> > algorithm.
>
> No, I'm not. But I bet that when people write code for non-symbolic AI
> they know how the code is supposed to work and what the end result should
> look like. The credit card company expects their code to actually find
> fraud.  If it didn't appear to turn up fraud and the programmer said, "Oh,
> this is just non-obvious fraud" he wouldn't be taken very seriously. :)
>
> --
> Tracy Reed
> http://copilotconsulting.com

Matthew J Toseland - [EMAIL PROTECTED]