On Thursday 13 December 2007 06:24, Volodya wrote:

> > ... This is far more secure, making it very difficult for others to tell
> > that you are using Freenet. However, if you don't know at least 5 people
> > already running Freenet, you can choose to connect to strangers...
> > ...Yes, I have at least 5 friends already running Freenet and I will
> > enter their details on the Friends page.
> > No, I want Freenet to automatically find strangers to connect to.
>
> Keep in mind that one of the reasons for the friends-only (aka darknet)
design was so that the node must
> operate in the environment where running Freenet itself is illegal. So i
would argue that there should be
> perhaps a post-scriptum:
>
> "P.S. If you live in China or other country where Freenet itself is illegal,
you should not allow connections
> to strangers."
>
> Simply saying that it's "less secure" might not be clear to people.

Current text (maybe a bit too detailed/paranoid):

Connect to strangers?

Ideally, all Freenet users would connect only to people they know. This is far
more secure, making it very difficult for others to tell that you are using
Freenet. However, if you don't know at least 5 people already running
Freenet, you can choose to connect to strangers (Promiscuous Mode). Note that
you can always turn this off later.

Do you know anyone already using Freenet?
No, I want the node to automatically find strangers to connect to.
Yes, I have at least 5 friends already using Freenet and I will add their
details on the Friends page.

Warning! Running Freenet may be illegal where you live, as it enables
unrestricted, anonymous free speech. If so, telling the node to automatically
connect to strangers may make it easy for your government to discover that
you are running Freenet, so you should only connect to people you know (and
ideally trust). Freenet is still beta software, we make no guarantees about
security! In particular, those you connect to may be able to spy on your
requests.